Social Media

Impact

|




I don't think a single person who has been to camp, can say that they left as the same person they were when they first arrived. 2016 pre-camp Christy is nothing like the person I am today; and I think that's because, as a result of Burgess and Hayward, I actually know who I am. 





After my first week at camp, it was hard to believe I had ever lived anywhere else. It's easy to get caught up in the 'camp bubble' - you become so close with people in such a short period of time - it sounds cheesy, but it really feels like you've known them forever. Staff training was easily one of the best weeks of my life and it taught me more about myself than I'd ever thought possible.

During this week, each year, our Executive Director Bruce does a highly anticipated philosophy talk. He talks to us about our impact and inspires us to make a difference, to make the most out of life and to 'follow our bliss'. I really wish his talks could be televised for everyone to see, because I honestly believe that if everyone shared a little piece of Bruce's outlook, we'd live in a much kinder world. By the end of the talk everyone is crying and hugging, and you can literally feel the love in the room. 

... and to me, that's what camp is: love. Pure, unapologetic, unconditional love - for each other, for our jobs, for the moments we share and for ourselves.  

Imagine living in an environment...

- where you're surrounded by positive, creative, energetic, genuine people 24/7,
- where everyone builds each other up, and motivates one another,  
- where people actually want to get to know you,
- where everyone has your best interest,
- where people selflessly go out of their way to make your day a little brighter,
- where everyone shares a 'live life to the fullest' ideal;
- a place full of those people who describe every activity as an 'adventure'.
- a place that encourages you to embrace your weirdness and individuality,
- a place where you can literally look your worst but still feel entirely beautiful, loved and accepted,

- where you are built up for who you are on the inside,
- where CROCS, STAR GAZING AND COUNTRY MUSIC ARE NOT ONLY ACCEPTED BUT ENCOURAGED


..and tell me you're not going to grow into a better, more wholesome, person. 




And no, I'm not saying camp people are perfect, or that we're always happy, but its the intention and fact that we make a conscious decision to try and be the best versions of ourselves, that makes me proud. 

 Because of camp, and my BH family, I am now unapologetically myself. I am positive and extremely self aware; I know my strengths; I try, each and every day, to be kinder and more thoughtful; I believe in myself and in achieving my dreams; I'm confident enough to say I have dreams; I work to better myself and to do what makes me happy; I am confident, motivated, empowered and.. well, currently frustrated... because I know that no matter what I write in this blog, it will never be enough to fully capture the impact camp has had on me. It will never express how alive it makes me feel; how much it inspires me every day or how full my heart feels when it's time to say good bye each year. 


I know many people will read this blog post and think 'that's embarrassing' and that's fine. 2016 me would have probably thought the same, but that's the difference. I am comfortable enough in myself to express my feelings without caring what other people think. 



'Those that matter don't mind, and those 
that mind don't matter' so be yourself, do what makes you happy and follow your bliss. 





Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9